How To Choose What Kind Of Gold Or Silver Coins You're Going To Collect

By Guy Stille


Almost all collectors of American coins accumulate by date , mint mark, and condition. This is known as "series" collecting. That's exactly how I began. I quickly gathered a whole collection of Morgan and Peace silver dollars. Then I assembled a complete assortment of Silver Eagles and Engelhards and also other bullion type coins.

I started a Walking Liberty half dollar collection, until they got too costly in uncirculated condition. I'd been curious about collecting money from other areas of the world yet didn't understand a lot with regards to it.

Nearly all foreign coins are collected by type, that makes the KM (Krause & Mishler) numbers so useful. The Krause & Mishler "Standard Catalog of World Coins" in its many editions is the Bible of world coin collectors. I acquired a lot of my knowledge in this field by simply reading and understanding these massive books .

A lot of collectors accumulate their collections by type, in some type or another. I realized early on that my "type" is one ounce gold and silver. As I learned much more about foreign gold and silver one ounce coins, I found them significantly more affordable compared to American silver and gold dollars in exactly the same condition.

I often buy them at a discount from Europe, China or South America. I'm guessing individuals in those nations:

* Have little interest in numismatic collecting

* Can't afford expensive, unnecessary precious metal coins

* Back to 1 & 2, need the cash and do not want the coins to store, so that they will market them cheaply compared to Americans

For instance, you may obtain gold of a certain denomination or design. Or perhaps you might collect every denomination of gold coin a nation has ever minted. You might possibly collect crown size silver as what I do. You can actually collect commemorative items from different nations. You might wish an example of anything one nation ever minted .

I collect gold and silver coins with various female representations of Liberty on it. I even have a one ounce silver assortment with sailing ships shown in it. You might also be interested in accumulating coins with photos of the country's ruler on them.

In a sense, collecting your pieces by kind is much more cost effective than accumulating by series, particularly since supply is constant and demand is boosting for some coins beyond what exactly is affordable or even attainable to many collectors.