Three Assessments To Assist You Recognize Fake Coins

By Mathew Bough


Fake coins have been initially created by people wishing fool merchants and obtain a cheaper supply of spending money. The counterfeits had to only vaguely resemble the money they have been duplicating to pass because retailers didn't pay much attention to the money.

Right now counterfeit coins are created to deceive collectors, rather than merchants. Simply because the collector market has put considerable rates on the original worth of coins. The new fakes are a lot more hard to recognize, because collectors inspect their money more carefully compared to sellers.

The profile of a bogus is much like profiling a shoplifter. There isn't any. Some lower grade bullion coins are fake. Many people aren't paying close attention to their bullion material, so they are simple to escape undetected. The expensive coins are more profitable, but are also more carefully examined.

Screening a brand new coin purchase:

1. Visual Test: When I go to buy a coin, I primarily screen it through giving it a visual check up. If I am not acquainted with the coin, I compare it to a known real example. I compare and contrast details on each side, looking closely at the date and also worth denomination. Next I evaluate the width. Fake coins are nearly always thicker than their authentic counterpart.

2. Ring Test: I give the coin the "ring" test by simply balancing it on the tip of my index finger and striking the side with a Paper Mate stick pen. I take that with me as the striker, because it won't damage the coin, and it is solid enough to get a good ring out of the coin whenever you hit it. A pencil really fails as well. I've grown to love the sustained "tingggg" I get from most coins I test.

The "ring" test works specially well on medium to larger coins. It's very helpful on one oz gold and silver coins. The vast, majority of coins ring. Not-ringing isn't a conclusive test for being fake yet. I have came across a very few real coins that do not ring, but I will usually pass up a specimen that doesn't ring.

3. Weight Test: If a coin remains questionable, I'm going to weigh it. The coin in question should weigh within half a gram of a genuine one, although it would have to be more than a gram off, before I would utilize weight to convict it.

No single examination is infallible whenever examining a coin for legitimacy. I have to feel pretty sure of my allegation, just before calling a coin fake. If a coin fails two of my assessments, I will often call it "highly questionable".